Tuesday, October 14, 2008

OLAFUR ELIASSON


This past May I visited PS1 in Queens with some friends. First of all, if you live in the NYC area and haven't been, you should go. It was founded in 1971 and became affiliated with MOMA in 2000. The exhibition space is an old, abandoned school building which, in my opinion, is just as awesome as the artwork itself. 

Anyways, Olafur Eliasson's show "Take your Time" was up when I was there and he has since easily become one of my favorite artists. Though I don't think 'take your time' is his best work, it's still worth seeing. His "New York City Waterfalls" went up in June and ends this weekend. I had totally forgotten about this project until I went to Brooklyn to visit my sister at nighttime and drove right past one of them. I wish I'd had my camera out because happening upon the lit up waterfall was unexpected and beautiful. I think I actually gasped. Surprising, because you wouldn't think something as simple as a man-made waterfall would have such an impact, but the sight of "nature" in a completely urban area definitely managed to draw me in. Probably not the best thing for drivers at night...

Links:

No comments: